Is baby almost ready to start walking?
Here’s some tips to help baby take those (clumsy) first steps:
1. Put toys up on surfaces so baby practices playing in standing.
2. When helping baby, hold them at their rib cage instead of their arms. This will encourage baby to use their core muscles to stand.
3. Put small items in baby’s hands to encourage standing without support.
4. Start with a short distance, if it’s too long baby may resort to crawling!
5. Try not to fully extend your arms towards baby. This can cause baby to lean too far forward and fall.
6. When baby falls (they will!), reassure baby with a positive voice. If you sound scared or nervous, baby will be too!
Visit Pathways.org for more information about children’s development. All materials including videos are provided at no cost; no fees or charges may be associated with any of the Pathways.org materials without prior written approval.
View source by clicking here.